You have pleaded not guilty to your traffic ticket/speeding ticket. What’s next?

         The moment you receive the ticket, quickly write down all the details of it. Make a photocopy if possible, then verify that all information is correct. (More on this later if something is incorrect.) So you have circled option 3 on the ticket, checked the box “YES, I want to challenge the prosecution’s evidence”, signed it and handed it to the court clerk. What you do now is wait for the court date to arrive in the mail. Meanwhile, start preparing your case early, when everything is still fresh in your mind. Go to the place where you were cited. Take note of all the buildings, trees, road signs etc. If there are any power lines, telephone lines and neon lights, make note of these, too. If the place is not familiar to you, you can take some pictures of it. The pictures might not be usable in court, but they can remind you of that place and the surroundings. Obtain a map or draw one by yourself, and indicate the location of these important things on the map. In the case where the trial will be scheduled a few months away, it is also a good idea to write down the date, time, location, weather condition, traffic density and other such important things because we tend to forget them as time flies by.

There is one more thing you need to do, although not entirely related to fighting the ticket, is to change your insurance company. That’s right, if you don’t want your insurance premium to skyrocket in case you are convicted. How does your company find out about your ticket you may ask. Insurance companies rely on the Ministry of Transportation to report any moving violations that you may have, and this is done when demerit points are applied to your license. Demerit points are applied to your license when you pay your fine. But how does the Ministry of Transportation know which insurance company you are with? Remember when you renew your vehicle plate stickers? You have to report your insurance company and policy number while you renew your plates. That’s how the MOT knows which insurance company you are with. There is a bit of timing you can take advantage of, because the law only requires you to disclose your insurance information every time you renew your plates, whether it is one year or two years. As long as you have proof of valid insurance, you can change insurance companies as many times as you like, without telling the MOT until the next time you renew your plates. Before then, the MOT would still have your “old” insurance information and will report the violations to your old insurance company, therefore, keeping your present record clean. Having said all these, it becomes clear that it is highly recommended to have your annual insurance renewal date fall on the month after your birthday. The reason is, all vehicle owners in Ontario get to renew their plates the last day of the month which they were born, and at that time they also get to report their insurance information. Having the insurance expiry/renewal date fall on the month after, you can change insurance companies and the MOT will essentially always have old information.


Hire a paralegal to fight the ticket for you, doing everything in their power to ground those sky rocketing insurance premiums. Rising insurance premiums because of a negligible ticket is unreasonable, hire a paralegal to reason for you. Post your ticket on PROFFER.CA, wait for bids, and hire the paralegal willing to do it for the lowest cost. Simple.



Sponsored Links: